Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tutorial Videos (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2858)
-   -   Adjusting the volume for each track (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=34375)

Iosonoilprologo 08-06-2019 06:09 PM

Adjusting the volume for each track

Help!

I know that Sherry uploaded a detailed tutorial on how to adjust the volume of tracks individually to produce a more balanced overall sound. Can anyone send me that link or explain to me how I go about it?

Thank you!:)

Sherry C 07-06-2020 03:30 PM

Re: Adjusting the volume for each track

Hi friends,

The video that I think he was looking for was Practicing (I had answered the query privately).

For reference, each "track" of a MIDI file is transcribed to a corresponding "Staff" in our software.

There are also a few other things to keep in mind when adjusting volume levels for your songs.

MIDI playback device.
If you are using a MIDI playback device other than the internal Notation Software Synth (available beginning with version 3), then there may be volume controls associated with the device as a whole, or even with individual voices. Check your manual or other documentation to see what options you have.

Computer sound card volume
The system level for the sound card will of course affect the overall volume you hear if you are using a sound library or synth on your computer, or the internal Notation Software Synth.

Program Volume level slider
Notation Musician and Notation Composer have volume level sliders on the tool bar to control overall volume. If a staff is selected, then the Volume slider will help you enhance the volume of the selected staff. Please see the above mentioned tutorial video on Practicing.

Staff volume
Each staff has a volume control - you can either set it to a single volume level (using the Staff Control dialog), or with Composer you can use Graph Over notes to "draw a volume map" as it were for the volume level to change over the course of the song, and you can do this for each instrument in the song. (I know, I know - I need to make a tutorial video for Graph Over Notes - it's long overdue).

Note Velocity - another consideration for volume
With Composer, you can adjust Note Velocity for individual notes. Note Velocity is akin to how hard you "hit" a note. For example, on a piano if you just barely touch the key to make the note sound, the note velocity is very low and the note is rather quiet. If you hit the key with a lot of force, the note velocity is very high and the note is louder. You will also notice that the sound quality, or "timbre", is different. For some MIDI playback devices, sound libraries, and sound fonts, changes in the note velocity also reflect these changes in the "timbre" or sound quality of a note. Think of a horn when blown softly versus harshly, or a guitar when a string is quietly plucked versus vigorously strummed. Many higher-quality sound sources have these "timbre" nuances in their samples, and will use them with the difference in note velocity or other MIDI controller (cc) parameter. Again, check your user manual for your sound source to see what sonic possibilities you can explore.

Differences between MIDI playback devices, and even soundfonts
It's worth noting that different collections of instruments such as different soundfonts, or synthesizers, or sound libraries, can have their "presets" at different sound levels. This means that if you are looking to have a nice mix, you will need to adjust things for the particular sound sources that you are using for your song. It may also mean that if you open a file that was prepared using a different synth or library or soundfont than you are using, that file may initially sound bad :) Don't despair, or just toss the file. Musician and especially Composer have tools to help you tame the beast and get good and balanced sound.

Enjoy!
Sherry

panworks 12-04-2022 12:43 AM

One volume issue I have is with trills. I work with mallet instruments and any note I trill (to have the instrument roll ) is much louder then all the other notes on a track. This makes for tedious work adjusting all the rolls.

Sherry C 12-04-2022 01:47 AM

Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by panworks (Post 69808)
One volume issue I have is with trills. I work with mallet instruments and any note I trill (to have the instrument roll ) is much louder then all the other notes on a track. This makes for tedious work adjusting all the rolls.

I have not noticed this for things that I've trilled (but mine is possibly a more limited experience). Could you post a file that you are hearing this in?

Also, what MIDI playback device are you using for sound?

ttfn,
Sherry

panworks 12-04-2022 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using the Notation software synth. attached is an example, Eric

Sherry C 12-05-2022 07:09 PM

Howdy,

Thanks for including the test file. I tried out the file with a few different soundfonts, and the observed "louder trills" effect seems to be a function of the particular soundfont that you use. I listened to playback, as well as looked at the waveforms for exported audio files in Audacity using a few different soundfonts in Composer.

Using the included soundfont does give louder trills in the song file that you attached (confirmed audibly and visually), probably because the soundfont FluidR3Mono_GM.sf3 has some "included" reverb which for most instrument sounds is a good thing because it gives it a more live sound. However, for trills it can cause the trilled passage to be a bit louder. I also tried a couple of soundfonts that I had on hand (eg. Chorium.sf2). That one gives a very even sound level between single hits and trills, but also sounds more "mechanical" due to a total absence of reverb.

So the bottom line is that the soundfont you use is similar to picking an instrument to play. They will have different qualities, and you'll need to pick the one that best suits your needs and tastes. There are a lot of excellent free ones out there - you can use your favorite search engine and look for "free soundfonts" to bring up a lot of resources.

I hope this helps!

ttfn,
Sherry