Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and feature requests (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuous Paging (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2712)

BernieA 07-25-2009 10:36 AM

Continuous Paging

I've suggested this before,but having a half page occuring near the end of the page prevents awkward skips when reading notes and lyrics. It was on the to do list a couple of years ago. This is the only reason I use MidiIllustrator for fast songs.

Bernie

SpiritRising 02-17-2010 04:08 AM

Re: Continuous Paging

The program would be much easier to edit and review if it allowed continuous page movement. The ability to smoothly scroll the score would be a great improvement for everyone.

As far as I can tell, the only way to move from one page to another is to use the page flipping buttons in the lower right. I've never seen another editing program with that user interface limitation. So, I find that I waste a lot of time moving back and forth trying to find which bars are showing. The eye must jump from the lower right (say, bar 119) to the upper left (bar 120).

To tie two notes across bars that are displayed on different pages requires multiple keystrokes, often changing magnification to see the two bars together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieA (Post 11899)
I've suggested this before,but having a half page occuring near the end of the page prevents awkward skips when reading notes and lyrics.

Bernie

veneman 02-17-2010 10:19 AM

I agree with the suggestion that a more smoothly shift of one page to the next/previous page would be a great improvement when editing around the page end.

I don't agree with the very negative comment of "SpiritRising". I have use Composer from its first beta and are very happy with using the program.
I also tried to use quite some other program's amongst them Finale and Sibelius and experienced a their high learning curve, where Composer is far superior. Yes, also I have some wishes which are longer on the to-do-list, but never made me regret using Composer.

Cheers

JaapV

SpiritRising 02-17-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veneman (Post 13937)
I don't agree with the very negative comment of "SpiritRising". I have use Composer from its first beta and are very happy with using the program.
I also tried to use quite some other program's amongst them Finale and Sibelius and experienced a their high learning curve, where Composer is far superior.

Hi JaapV,
I agree that Sibelius and Finale are nightmares to learn, and I have hopes that Composer will become easier to use for novices (I'm a former software designer so I'm perhaps too picky).

Sibelius/Finale have a price and feature set for the musically sophisticated high-end user. I do think there is a big market for intermediate software products and that Composer should aim for it. But the software must be GREAT at ease-of-use, not just better than bad at it (which Sib/Fin are). Most people are intimidated by Finale and Sibelius, so there's an opportunity for Composer to do well. Or better.

I'd recommend that rather than add many new features (I'm sure the wish list is a long one), stop new development and study how new users react to the product, and then revise the interface to eliminate the wrinkles. Literally watch users and see where they hesitate or get frustrated when using the program. Eliminate the causes of frustration and confusion through improved software design. That way, when someone like me uses it everything works well and the job gets done. Then we tell other people about it. If Composer worked smoothly I would tell every choir in my town, and there are a lot of them.

I like Composer. I want it to do well.
My plea: focus on making the beginner's experience smooth and it will be a GREAT product that could easily compete with Sibelius/Finale in the sizeable low-midrange markets.

Sherry C 02-18-2010 01:43 PM

Hi,

You've certainly nailed a lot of things about Composer and Notation Software. Your background experience in software is showing well :)

Our heart is for everyday musicians, as you've surmised. Sibelius and Finale are good for what they do. We want to help the other 99 percent of us (myself included) make good music affordably, and make it easily. We do appreciate feedback from all our customers, not just the ones that say "good job!" As you've said, we can't improve things if we don't know what needs improving.

I'd like to chat with you about the possibility of helping us work on some major improvements. I'll email you directly.

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C 02-19-2010 11:42 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritRising (Post 13946)

- The drop-down list of parts (beginning with "Conductor's Score") includes many "Accompaniment" and "Melody" parts that no longer exist in the score. I had renamed split parts to Soprano1, Soprano2, Alto and Bass but these are not displayed. I saved and restarted the program hoping this would fix it, but no joy. The user cannot use the Parts function in this case.

Could you possibly send me a copy of this file to support@notation.com, or tell me some steps to reproduce the problem so we can get that fixed? Thanks!

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C 02-22-2010 12:11 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritRising (Post 13946)

- During playback, it suddenly changed the display of score to a much smaller zoom or magnification -- the user loses track of their place while trying to verify that their changes are correct

This may happen if you have Staff/Hide Resting Staves "on". If you see this happen consistently, please let me know, or send me the file that you're seeing the problem in so I can study it to get the problem fixed.

Thanks!
Sherry