Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and feature requests (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Slow tempo button (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=1618)

john s. smith (jss) 03-07-2009 05:18 PM

Hi all, Any chance we could h

Hi all,
Any chance we could have a "Very Slow Tempo" button (always visible) somewhere?

I would find this extremely useful when working on a composition. I know we have the sliders and more complex tempo-setting features but sometimes (quite often) it would be great just to simply click this button and the music plays very slowly. Click again to return to normal settings. The actual tempo set by this button could be a config settup parameter.

regards
-John

Sherry Crann (sherry) 03-07-2009 07:13 PM

Howdy John, We're looki

Howdy John,

We're looking at having something like a "scrub" feature, where you would drag your cursor across measures in the score and hear it play as you drag. This way you could finely control just how "slow" is slow - my particular definition would probably depend on how much caffeine I'd had that day ;)

Would such a "scrub" feature suit your needs?

Or do you need a slider for the Tempo menu bar, where you can quickly slide it to "really slow" and then move it back again? I know the current arrow buttons are a bit awkward for this type of quick adjustment.

ttfn,
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 03-08-2009 09:56 AM

Hi Sherry, The scrub functi

Hi Sherry,

The scrub function has been suggested several times and would be quite useful.

I have another request, related to tempo. I produce backing tracks used in live performances. Currently, I record the backing tracks on CDs. There is not much I can do to adapt to changing circumstances. It would be a vast improvement to use Composer directly for the performance, if I were able to change tempo instantly in real time and be able to jump instantly to preset cues. Controls would need to be calibrated and sufficiently large for easy use, perhaps as part of a control panel, selectable for live performances.

Best wishes,

Herbert

john s. smith (jss) 03-08-2009 01:49 PM

Hi all, Sherry: I can see the

Hi all,
Sherry: I can see the scrub function is useful (I use it on some of the real time synth type works and for editing audio waveforms). I'm sure it has use in Notation score - but for me I would prefer an always-on-screen toggle button that can switch tempo between the "real" tempo and some very slow "audition" tempo. (Say 25 per crotchet note). What I find I'm often doing in practice is to be playing a section, and on some very tight timing parts, go to the %age slider to slow the tempo down. Then after editing the score, have to drag the slider back up again. It tends to be distracting and causes "loss of context" (!). If there were such a button it would be for easier - and also resetting to the original tempo would also be much easier. To work as I would see it, the button would have to work in real-time though. I mean it can do it's stuff while the music playing.
regards
-John