Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Note value, tempo definition and playback marker (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=4001)

Tim Mariott 01-23-2012 05:16 PM

Note value, tempo definition and playback marker

Hi Sherry

Just starting my next lot of choir music and have come across something I hadn't noticed before. The vertical bar playback marker seems to move in increments as set by the note value used in the tempo box. This is what I have deduced by looking at several different scores.

So at the present time I have a score in 4/8 time and the note value used in the tempo box is set to a half-note (20 half-notes per minute). The effect of this is that the playback marker (vertical bar) jumps a measure at a time rather than following the individual notes which is what I would like it to do.

Ah! I thought: if this is the case then all I need do is reset the tempo to 80 eighth notes per minute and then the playback marker will move across each measure in 4 increments.

But nowhere can I find how to persuade the tempo definition dialog to let me set the tempo as 80 eighth notes rather than 20 half notes.

Please tell me which part of my ignorance is in operation and whether there is an easy solution. I have looked in the various settings but cannot see anything.

Thanks .. Tim

Sherry C 01-23-2012 05:35 PM

Re: Note value, tempo definition and playback marker

Hi Tim,

Not your ignorance at all, but a lack in the program - there is not currently an option to be able to set the playback cursor to "beat" at certain note values.

That is a great suggestion, though. Now written up :)

ttfn,
Sherry

Tim Mariott 01-24-2012 08:22 AM

Sherry

Thanks. That answers part of my question which is how to set the playback marker increments.

But the other part is whether it is possible to select the note value to be used in the tempo definition. It seems almost random as to whether the tempo definition is offered as a number of half-notes, quarter-notes or eighth-notes. Could you explain how Notation decides which note value to use to define the tempo for a given piece? And having decided, is it possible to change the note value used as the basis for the tempo definition?
Regards
Tim

Sherry C 01-24-2012 01:28 PM

Hi Tim,

Sorry that I didn't explain clearer previously (by way of explanation/excuse, I'm currently traveling out of state on a family emergency).

The note value for the tempo is determined based on the time signature. There is not currently a way to "manually" change that, though it is on the "wish list".

ttfn,
Sherry