Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Software amplification for choir practice files (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30369)

Tim Mariott 09-20-2013 09:13 AM

Software amplification for choir practice files

First let me state that I have very limited understanding of MIDI technology so apologise if this is a dumb question.
I have been using Notation Composer for several years now and one of the main uses is to create practice files for our SATB choir: I create sets of files with each voice emphasised so that choir members can sit at home and practice their parts using Notation Player, allowing them to follow the score as they sing their part.
Occasionally I find that the files ends up being too quiet and if you turn the Notation volume to maximum you actually lose the emphasis of a part, despite having set the target staff to a high volume compared to the other staves: it seems to all wash in together.
I fully appreciate that if you connect your laptop to an external amplifier then you can crank up the volume - but if you want to just use your laptop standalone or don't have an external amplifier that is not an option: I have 40 members in the choir and they have a wide range of facilities and technical competences.
I have read on the internet about software amplifers but these all seem to relate to amplifying audio "files": I want to amplify the "live" output from Notation so that choir members can stop and start pieces from the onscreen score.
I do have "Loop Be" installed though I have to admit that I have forgotten why........... and it is not currently configured as my MIDI output device.
Grateful for what I might really need to suggest to my members.
Thanks
Tim Marriott

dj 09-20-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Software amplification for choir practice files

Hi, Tim:

It sounds as though you are using Windows built-in synth as your playback device. Many laptops are notorious for low sound output. My wife has one that, on full volume, can't be heard with your ear against the speaker.

If the note velocity of the file being played back is low, then even with track volume up to full, it might still be very quiet, certainly not big enough to play back to a 40-voice choir.

Call up one of the files in question, select a staff using the "arrow" staff control and select the Note Velocity tab. The selected staff should now show a red diagonal line per note and be highlighted blue to show note selection.

You can now use Shift-Up Arrow to increase the note velocity of the selected notes, up to their max velocity of 127.

Another thing might be the choice of playback voice. Something with a soft attack, like the General Midi voice sounds, might not carry as well as a piano sound or a trumpet sound.

Hope that helps.

David

Tim Mariott 09-20-2013 04:57 PM

David

Thank you for your rapid advice. As you surmise, most of my choir do use just the basic Windows built-in synth.
I had thought of increasing the note velocity: I do normalise it to a medium level to give me the scope to emphasise certain areas of the score but I guess I could try to increase wherever possible. My main issue there is that by now I have over 600 Notation files but I could focus just on those in current use.

Thanks again
Tim

herbert 09-21-2013 07:28 AM

Hi Tim

You cannot make up for limitations of a computer’s audio by changing the midi file or .wav file. The maximum you can have is 0dB. Attempting to go beyond that point will only give you distorted sound. Depending on the content, the max level may be less than 0dB for distortion-free operation. If you use GM midi, you can use velocity and channel volume to change the volume level of an instrument. To make sure that you have not gone into distortion, aim at a maximum level of -3dB. You can measure and adjust the wav file with an audio editor. I am using GoldWave. There are many free audio editors available on the internet. If your signal level is too high, you must record your music again at a lower level. Once you have optimised your .wav file for level, that is it. The only way to increase your volume is to use an external amplifier.

Best Wishes,

Herbert

Tim Mariott 09-23-2013 09:11 AM

Herbert

Thank you for your helpful reply. I had suspected as much but was just trying to avoid editing 600 Notation files to increase their volume!

Tim

dj 09-23-2013 01:13 PM

600 pieces?

You people have one heck of a repertoire! :D

I just have the one tune that keeps running through my head.

David

Tim Mariott 09-23-2013 01:32 PM

Oh the repetoire is only about 100 pieces, but as I produce emphasised files for each SATB voice that means a minimum of 5 versions of each piece and then some arrangements have two Soprano lines, or two Bass lines, etc, so it quickly mounts up.

And then I have to spin off a MIDI file of each for those unwilling to install Notation Player and create an MP3 file of each using Synthfont to burn CDs for those who don't use computers or want versions to sing along to in their cars.

A macro language for Notation would be really neat so I could create an SATB score and then just run a script to create the emphasised files and the MIDI files. Ah well, back to musical grindstone.

Tim