Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   file cant open according to its expected format (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32532)

DisneyPianoKid 03-09-2015 05:57 AM

file cant open according to its expected format

I had been using notation and my computer suddenly restarted with three specific files open. When the computer started up again after it suddenly shut off, the files that had been open get a message that say they can't open because of their "expected format" and that the files were made with a newer version of Notation. The upsetting part of this is that my version (2.6.3) is the most up to date for version 2 so now I feel like I'm being forced into buying version 3.

There has to be a way to get the files back!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL IF THERE IS A WAY TO GET BACK THE FILES WITH OUT HAVING TO "UPGRADE" because the option to "update" is not an option for me anymore because I will be switching to much higher end software sometime soon. I'm only 16 and love arranging and three best arrangements were open at the time the computer basically crashed.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I'M VERY STRESSED OUT AND UPSET BECAUSE THESE FILES WERE A WORK IN PROGRESS AND A WAY FOR ME TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN:confused:.

To who ever gives me help thank you!

Sherry C 03-09-2015 12:24 PM

Re: file cant open according to its expected format

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyPianoKid (Post 66069)
I had been using notation and my computer suddenly restarted with three specific files open. When the computer started up again after it suddenly shut off, the files that had been open get a message that say they can't open because of their "expected format" and that the files were made with a newer version of Notation.

Crashes are never fun; the error message you got is because the typical cause of a file not opening is due to a newer version file. I will write up that the error message should include the possibility of a corrupted file (which yours probably is due to the crash). This is now Task 2815.

Quote:

The upsetting part of this is that my version (2.6.3) is the most up to date for version 2 so now I feel like I'm being forced into buying version 3.
Nope - this message is a bit of a "leftover" from a file format change we had to make previously. No forcing you to get v3.

Quote:

There has to be a way to get the files back!!!
There is - run the software and use File/Autosave file recovery. Pick the files you were working on with the "1" in the filename. This is the latest version of the file that was autosaved. It should be no older than 10 minutes from the time of the crash, or may be shorter if you had previously set the autosave time to a shorter period.

Quote:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I'M VERY STRESSED OUT AND UPSET BECAUSE THESE FILES WERE A WORK IN PROGRESS AND A WAY FOR ME TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN:confused:.
No need to yell - that a stressor ;)
Quote:

To who ever gives me help thank you!
Just send chocolate :D

ttfn,
Sherry

DisneyPianoKid 03-09-2015 02:47 PM

Thank you so much Sherry C!

But, I didn't know Notation had an auto save feature because it always asks me if I want to save before I exit so I assumed that it didn't autosave.

But back to the issue, last night trying to figure things out on my own because I'm impatient....I downloaded the Notation 3 trial to see if the file would open and the same problem persisted. But I figured it probably was because the file was corrupted because of the computer crash.

So in order to download version 3 I had to uninstall version 2, but last night right when the crash happened, I sent an email to support@notation.com which I assume might be you. So now I'm still waiting for a new download key.

I'd also like to say that the comment about switching was out of anger and that Notation is literally the easiest software to use. After last night I requested for a Sibelius trial and from the looks of it, I doesn't have the same ease as Notation.

SO anyway, thank you so much for the help, when I get the key to re-download notation I will try what you suggested and see.

Sherry C 03-10-2015 04:40 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyPianoKid (Post 66072)
Thank you so much Sherry C!

My pleasure :D

Quote:

But, I didn't know Notation had an auto save feature because it always asks me if I want to save before I exit so I assumed that it didn't autosave.
Just trying to look out for those unexpected events in life.

Quote:

So in order to download version 3 I had to uninstall version 2
Actually you can install v2 and v3 "side by side", you just can't run them both at the same time.

Quote:

but last night right when the crash happened, I sent an email to support@notation.com which I assume might be you. So now I'm still waiting for a new download key.
You should have that by now. If not, please let me know.

Quote:

Notation is literally the easiest software to use. After last night I requested for a Sibelius trial and from the looks of it, I doesn't have the same ease as Notation.
It really depends on what you want to do. If you want tools that help you create songs and readable/playable sheet music, Composer is hands-down the winner. Sibelius is great at "polishing" professional scores, but also costs about 4-6 times as much as Composer, depending on what "flavor" of Sibelius you get. And we have it from several Sibelius users that the MIDI transcription isn't as good as Composer's ;)

I hope you continue to enjoy using Notation Composer, and have lots of fun with it. Please feel free to contribute your music in our "Share your music" section of the forum here. It's always fun to hear what our musicians are doing :)

ttfn,
Sherry