Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Internet midi files won't play 3.0.3 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32638)

ronaldstone 10-20-2015 10:56 PM

Internet midi files won't play 3.0.3

Downloaded new version 303 and have tried for 5 hours to get Internet sample midi files to play thru notation (as before on previous version). Windows 7 does not let you assign a default player for .mid and .midi files. It stays locked into Media Player (impossible to change) Have tried to set it up in Notation 3, but nothing seems successful.

Have tried as a last resort to go into register edit and see if I could change something there but I'm not sure of what I am changing. (Looked up hints on Internet).

It is only those files that I want to get a short feel for, that automatically play in Media Player. I would like to have them play thru Notation software as before.

Is there anything else I could try?

Ronald

dj 10-21-2015 12:48 PM

Re: Internet midi files won't play 3.0.3

Hi, Ronald:

I use Windows 7 and I've just successfully changed the default .mid player to Notation Composer through the usual process.

Right click on .mid file; select "Open with . . ." / "Choose default program". Select your Notation product from the list that comes up, or navigate to it.

To use Notation products from your web browser, you need to go into the setup for whatever browser you are using. I'm using Firefox -- Tools -> Options -> Applications -> scroll down to Midi and select your Notation product from the drop-down list. Re-start your browser (probably) and you should have what you want.

Hope that helps.

David

Sherry C 10-21-2015 01:55 PM

Hi guys,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj (Post 66510)
Right click on .mid file; select "Open with . . ." / "Choose default program". Select your Notation product from the list that comes up, or navigate to it.

This method *should* change the default program for Internet Explorer as well.

For some other tips, see the thread here.

ttfn,
Sherry

ronaldstone 10-21-2015 05:27 PM

David, Thanks for your reply. There is something in my Windows 7 that will not let me choose Composer.exe to be the default midi player. The operating system will not let Composer 3.0.3 to go into the list of defaults.

I will still try things, but I think I will still be scratching my head.

Again Thanks a bunch

Ronald

dj 10-22-2015 11:48 AM

Hi, Ronald:

Can you access it through the Browse option in the "Open With . . ." dialogue box? That should let you navigate to any directory on your hard drive and choose any executable. Whether that program can then open a .mid file depends on what you choose, but you should be able to choose any program.

David

ronaldstone 10-22-2015 04:46 PM

David, Thank you again for your thoughts on my 3.0.3 glitch. I am thinking more and more it is a registry thing than anything else. Even tho in my earlier years I've programmed and done system/office work, I don't know enough about the technology of today to even think about changing stuff in the registry. I've used computers all of my working life and from time to time, you run into various challenges and you learn to solve them or do "work a rounds".

In this case I've got a work a round that I'll use, but I wish I could use 3.0.3 for everything dealing with a midi file.

I tried to uninstall 3.0.3 last night and my machine wouldn't let me do it. Gave an error message. Why this machine will not recognize 3.0.3 as a recommended piece of software, I haven't been able to figure out yet.

3.0.3 does a magnificent job of any midi that I want to customize. What a wonderful piece of software!!

I appreciate your thoughts and help.

Ronald

dj 10-23-2015 12:54 PM

Hi, Ronald:

Ah, that does sound like a registry issue.

Like you, I'm pretty much over my head at that point.

Have you searched the Support Desk Knowledgebase or submitted a Support Ticket?

David

ronaldstone 10-23-2015 07:29 PM

David , It's such a long story to fill you in on over the last 3 days, but in short, trying to find an answer to this question, I destroyed by computer system. Then I relied on what I thought was good logic and backed up based on Lenovo backup. Whatever I did destroyed my whole system (Windows &).

I have been days and nights since then trying to recover all that I had on the machine and it is a nightmare (and that word is not descriptive enough). I'm making progress but it probably will take me many more days to come close to where I was.

I think I've learned a lot from this experience but time will tell.

Thanks again for your help and interest.

Ronald

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj (Post 66523)
Hi, Ronald:

Ah, that does sound like a registry issue.

Like you, I'm pretty much over my head at that point.

Have you searched the Support Desk Knowledgebase or submitted a Support Ticket?

David