Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to improve printing? (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3593)

telemiles 03-05-2011 07:44 PM

How to improve printing?

Hello, I am trying to improve the quality of the printed sheets but I cannot,for instance, change the fonts of the note. What is the best way to improve the quality of printing? Thanks a lot. Marc

Sherry C 03-05-2011 08:30 PM

Re: How to improve printing?

Hi Marc,

For the font, currently the Harmony font is the only one available for the music symbols. We do have it down as a "to do" to have other fonts (eg. a "jazz hand-written" style) included.

The text fonts can be anything that is available on your machine, with the exception of unicode fonts (which are also on the "to do" list for support.)

What other "qualities" are you looking to improve or change?

ttfn,
Sherry

telemiles 03-06-2011 08:37 AM

Hello, thanks for your answer. When I talk of quality printing, I mean something like that for instance: http://tinyurl.com/5svmrr8 (easier to show than to explain). I found the Notation prints a little "rude" when I compare with such prints and wonder how I can make them more attractive. Is it possible to achieve such printings with Notation and how?Regards. Marc

dj 03-06-2011 11:35 AM

Hello, Telemiles:

Do you know what program the example you posted was created in?

The Harmony font that Notation Software products use is, I think, a more "modern" music font than that which is shown in your example. Beaming is not quite as thick and the default text fonts are lighter.

However, you can change the text fonts at will and the default size and relative thickness of the music symbols under the Format menu: select Font Size and Spacing/Styles.

That may make a difference in how you see the output.

Good luck.

David

telemiles 03-06-2011 12:52 PM

Hello,

as far as I know, the example was made with Finale.
Regards.
Marc

Sherry C 03-12-2011 12:07 PM

Hi Marc,

Notation Composer is intended as a composition assistant and sheet music printer for "the everyday musician". As such, we've worked hard to make tasks that most of us would do for arranging and creating music to be easy, and to give a usable printout of that work. Finale and Sibelius are primarily music engraving programs intended for music publication and professional use. The printout that you receive from those applications will be more "polished" because that is their goal :) If that's what you need, then you'll want to purchase one of those programs. They only cost several times more than Composer ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

telemiles 03-12-2011 01:11 PM

Hi Sherry, yes I know. I appreciate Notation because I find a lot of functionnality very practical and immediate for the price. But it is not a reason to not try to improve it. Regards. Marc

Sherry C 03-12-2011 01:29 PM

Hi Marc,

We certainly always look to improve Notation products, but our main goal is to make them do the things that everyday musicians need, do it easily, and keep the products affordable. Highly-polished, fine engraving of scores is simply not on that list. We do have a few items (eg.a jazz-hand font) on the "to do" list in regard to nicer engraving options, but we don't intend to try to have every option imaginable available. It's simply not feasible nor necessary for the vast majority of our users.

ttfn,
Sherry

dj 03-13-2011 10:57 AM

I'm producing an opera at the moment, with scores created in Sibelius. Apart from a few additional graphic elements, I honestly don't see a lot of difference in the printouts between Sibelius' "engraving" and Notation Composer's "printing".

It's still being printed on a home laser printer. You can take pdf files of either to a printer with engraving equipment and they'll look fancier.

Price to performance-wise, Notation knocks 'em for a loop.

David