View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 09:49 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: No sound from Aria Player after configuring with Notation

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbaker67 View Post
Okay... so now that I'm able to play a MIDI file on Notation and hear it in Aria, I'm getting a popup window that reads: "Error: MIDI Feedback! (Shortcut) Error: Do not connect MIDI OUT and MIDI IN of LoopBe1 within a single Application!" This is after I have made sure I have Notation set as Output and Aria as Input.
Just for clarity, we want to make sure that your MIDI Device Configuration setting looks like this:

MIDI_device_OUT-only-small.jpg

If it doesn't, double-click the Device name and then make sure the boxes are checked and unchecked like so:

Device_Properties_Out-only.jpg

Click "Ok" to save the setting.

Quote:
It then goes mute. I notice at this point that the little box in the "LoopBe1" window has set itself to "Mute." I click on this, and it unmutes, but now some of the instrument sounds are not playing. Even if not, that pesky window pops up again in a few seconds, and it goes mute again. Anyone have any experience with this? Or maybe had more success with a different MIDI cable besides LoopBe1?
I suspect that if we can figure out the Input/Output issue, this will not be an issue The paid-for LoopBe30 is a bit more flexible, but unless you're doing orchestral stuff and need multiple instances of Aria, then you should be able to stick with the free version.

Quote:
In a separate matter, when I adjust the volume of an instrument on Notation, it does not adjust in Aria when I play it; for example, I'll notice the Trumpet is playing louder than I'd like on Aria, so I adjust the volume on Notation, but it still plays the same volume on Aria. This has always happened, whether I'm connected via LoopBe1 or playing a MIDI file that I have uploaded to Aria. Thanks!
This is where the Mod Wheel setting comes in for Composer. I really encourage you to read over the user guide (or whatever they call it these days) to see what MIDI cc's are used because it does differ significantly from GM devices. The Mod Wheel is a very dynamic controller for Garritan libraries, and pretty much takes over volume and note velocity as well as some other performance parameters because it's designed to emulate the live instrument's timbre and other nuances depending on how "hard" it's hit/blown/plucked/strummed. You can also do Key Switches - you can see these in some of the template files. It's really just a staff set to the same channel as the notation for that instrument, but you can hide it (not display it in the score) because the Key Switch notes are typically far out of the playing range of the instrument and so tend to look a little weird if they're included (not to mention confusing a live instrumentalist if you forget to take it out )

Playing a .mid file in the Aria player itself is pretty limited because about the only thing that Aria does to correct anything (at least as far as I've ever heard) is to assign a reasonable Mod Wheel setting during playback so that you can at least hear the file. Composer gives you a lot better tools to edit the performance.

ttfn,
Sherry