View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Active User

Default Re: Ferrofish B4000+

Yes, thanks, Sherry - very interesting to have such circumstantial confirmation of my own rather uninformed impressions.

Paul Schellbecher at http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/paul.htm has some interesting anecdotal detail about amplifying an actual B3 in a large building, and inter alia suggests that actually a not-too-integrated use of more than one set of out-puts may improve the overall sound, in his opinion. For the moment, I am (when I have everything 'up and on', which is, for obvious domestic reasons, not always) using two unrelated pairs of speakers through a fairly decent amp, plus a pair of active speakers, and that seems to me to confirm his claim.But I think at some point it will probably be worth taking advice and investing in some new system or systems.

Just to leave a further note for anyone who may happen on this thread in the future. Two months into my use of the B4000+, I am making some sounds that I am at ease with, both in the obvious Hammond territory, and in the playing the best of C18th English organ music, and in arranging e.g. pieces from Bach's French Suites.

As a piece of kit, it is not perfect. Perhaps the most intrusive 'fault' is that there is some uneven speaking on specific notes which is probably a plus in a fairly 'heavy' registration, but less welcome in lighter ones. There are more expensive alternatives which a newcomer might want to listen to if they have the finance, but I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of this, and expect to continue to do so.