View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Active User

Default Re: The ubiquitous icon

Hi Sherry,
It's been several years since I actively wrote software - used mainly the MSoft Visual Studio C/C++ (which was the best Dev environment I have ever used - and that included several hosted on unix-like systems). However the icon editor was basic. So as you guessed, used icon editing tools - but I'd really need to go and look at what they were. Probably though newer ones are out there now - will take a look when I get a chance as am still interested in s/ware even though have retired :-)

It always surprised me how much work could go into the design of a good icon. After all I suppose, they are a little window/gateways into many areas of a software product and if they aren't showing the way clearly users tend it ignore them or forget what they do. Yes as as we have both said, that "very similar with different functions" is a design problem.

I can see the hours of work that have gone into NC icons, from design to construction it's a significant task.

I'll have a think as to actual designs for the performance and notation aspect - it'd be interesting to do - if I get chance that is. Have a few project on the go just now.

So glad to see NS is receptive to user suggestions/ideals.

regards
-John