View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Adrian and David, Yea

Hello Adrian and David,

Yeah, I guess chord fingerings are public domain. But, still, I'm not going to outright manually copy all of the chord fingerings from some chord book or web site or other notation program. For one thing, that would be too tedious.

The developer of another notation app offered to give me his chord database. That is really generous. I could start with his chord database and then supplement it with other sources. What other chord dictionaries do you find to be especially good?

I'm thinking that maybe this chord database would be "community based". Guitarists using Notation Composer could update their local copy of the chord database with their preferred fingerings. They would electronically submit their chord database to me, where "votes" would be take for preferred fingerings. The chord database would gradually improve with such input from guitarists.

Perhaps the chord database would have categories for some styles of music, where different fingerings are preferred.

Would the above be totally over-engineered? If the above were in place, would you take the trouble to customize your own chord dictionary, and further, would you take the trouble to submit it electronically so that I could collect your votes?

Regarding MIDI-to-tab transcription, I'd really like to pull this off. I'd need the help of some good guitarists to design the rules for evaluating good versus bad fingerings through passages of melody notes and/or chords. It seems quite feasible.

Cheers
-- Mark