Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Active User

Default Unable to associate .not file with Notation 4 (Win7)

I accidentally associated .not files to the wrong program in the "default programs" segment of the Start Menu (Win 7). When i went to fix it, Win 7 allows me to browse for Notation 4 but will not add it as a default program. Is this just me, Win 7, or Notation 4?
Old 06-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Unable to associate .not file with Notation 4 (Win7)

Hi Tim,

In Windows 7 my personal favorite way to do file associations is:

1. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to a file you want to create the association for (eg. here, .not and/or .mid, and possibly .kar if you use those. You can also choose the MusicXML filetypes .xml, .mxl, and .musicxml if you want.)
  2. Right-click on the file and choose "Open with..." from the command list.
  3. Go to the bottom of the "Open with" command list and select "Choose default program..."
  4. The following dialog will show up. Be sure that the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked.
  5. FileAssocWin7.jpg
  6. Now you can either select a program from the list (notation composer 4 is labelled specifically as that in this list) or you can use the "Browse" button to navigate to the Program Files folder for the application you want to use. If it's in the list of programs that Windows presents, just choose it and click the "Ok" button and you're done.
  7. If you have to navigate to find Composer 4 click the "Browse" button. Since notation composer 4 is a 64 bit application, it will be at C:\Program Files\Notation_4\Composer_4 and then select the Composer.exe program item. Click the "Composer.exe" file, and then then "Open" button for the dialog box.
  8. Make sure the "Always use the selected program ...." box is still checked, then click "Ok." The file association is now set for "notation composer 4" to open the filetype.
  9. Lather, rinse, repeat for other filetypes you want to set composer 4 to open.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know what steps you're using and I'll give it a whirl.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Active User

Therein lies the rub... I'm trying both of your preferred steps but (1) Notation 4 doesn't appear in the list Win 7 offers. nor does Notation 3! wqhich is still on the machine. When I try via the right-click, and run through that whole process, Windows does everything EXCEPT take any notice of Notation 4.

I think it's got to be a system glitch on my abused computer then, if the standard paths you've described are working for you, so I guess I'd better try a reinstall (sigh).

Tim
Old 06-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Active User

Okay. A system glitch it is, which I haven't yet fixed. Tried a reinstall of Composer 4, Win7 will still not associate .not with it. Nor will it associate with Composer 3! So my machine is doing a dummy spit (there's an issue with win7 on it, but I really don't want to upgrade or even reload win7, because of the hours of reinstallation needed....) (at least not yet. I'll wait till I'm stuck in quarantine again...)

Tim
Old 06-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Product Manager

Hi Tim,

It's not just your machine - it's got to be something in Windows 7.

I went and tried the

Start button\Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
path, and could not get it to associate Composer 4.
AND after doing that path, now it won't let me do the "favorite" path either! Not even after a hard reboot!

Going to do a little research here....

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 06-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Product Manager

Hi Tim,

Ok, I think I found a solution.

If you're comfortable working in the Registry of your machine, please see
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ion-in-windows

I found that this setting was incorrectly set. After I corrected the path, the File Association works as it should. (I'm still puzzled why it worked correctly the first time when I did the screen shots for my first response, but who knows in Windows World...)

Let me know if this does/n't help.

ttfn,
Sherry