Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > News and notes > Announcements

Announcements News from the Notation Software team

Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

Notation Composer and Musician version 2.1.2 is now available. You can update to it using the Software Updates command the the Help menu of Composer or Musician. You are encouraged to update to this version.

Please note: If you are currently using version 2.1 of Notation Composer or Musician, and you previously updated to it using a patch from 2.0, 2.0.1 ... or 2.0.4, then the Help menu's Sofware Update will fail with this error message: "Could not start the automatic update (2)". In that case, it will be necessary for you to redownload and install a complete new purchased copy of Composer or Musician, following the instructions at www.notation.com/Redownload.htm

Here is a summary of the bug fixes in this version 2.1.2 maintenance release:
  • "Visual C++ Library runtime error" message. Fix bug. On some some systems, the Notation Composer reported this error message and aborted upon initial, or sometimes reported later during the session. This was related to unnecessary, frequent rewriting of the MidiDev.cfg file.
  • Performance. Fix bug: When Notation Composer was supposed to be inactive, it sometimes showed disk activity due to its unnecessarily rewriting the MidiDev.cfg (MIDI device configuration) file.
  • General user interface. Fix bug: A vertical scrollbar was unnecessarily displayed for a score displayed in Window View.
  • Page layout. Fix bugs: The Fixed Number of Bars Per Line option did not work. The Page Break option did not work. The Page Layout command in the Format menu was incorrectly disabled.
  • Online help. Fix bug: Options in the Help menu incorrectly invoked the Internet browser to display the online documentation, even when it was available in the help (.chm) file on your computer.
  • Practice feature. The minimum practice speed has been reduced from 25% of normal speed to 10%.
  • Slurs. Fix bugs: Slurs sometimes were incorrectly deleted when the Delete Measure command was used in other measures. In a region copy/paste operation, slurs from one measure past the end of the 'from' measures were incorrectly pasted to one measure past the end of the 'to' measures.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I tried the automa

Hi Mark,

I tried the automatic update /install update and got the following:

I tried review updates and could not find a 2.1.2

all best,
mgj
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G., What verison of

Hello M.G.,

What verison of Composer are you using, as reported by Help / About?

This should not be necessary, but please try restarting Windows and try that again.

Sorry for the trouble.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, According to Help

Hi Mark,

According to Help About, it is 2.1.

I tried the restart with the same message box in answer.

I might have something set wrongly, but I can't recall that I set anything related.

best,
mgj
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G., I've succes

Hello M.G.,

I've successfully tested this update going from 2.1 to 2.1.2 as well as 2.1.1 to 2.1.2. The problem is probably that you have some special release of 2.1, although I don't recall sending you one. The date on the composer.exe file for 2.1 should be 4/23/2007.

Instead of using the Help / Software Update option, please try completing redownloading and installing your copy of Composer from www.notation.com/redownload.htm

That should work. Please let me know if it doesn't.

After this, you will be able to update from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3, 2.1.4, etc. using the Help / Software Update command.

Sorry the update didn't work for you.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, The date is 2 days

Hi Mark,

The date is 2 days later than you specified above, but I downloaded two days after it was available.

Anyhow, the redownload is in progress. Should/must I uninstall Composer 2.1 before the installation? It is in the directory that the previous install suggested, e.g., Program Files / Notation / Composer.

all best,
mgj

Old 06-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Mark, I got the same mes

Hi Mark,

I got the same message MG got.,
"Can not start the automatic update (2)".

I'm using v 2.1 also.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 06-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Hi again, Mark, My case is th

Hi again, Mark,
My case is the same as MG. The date of my Composer is 2/22/07 and modified on 4/24/07. The modified date is the date I updated to 2.1 with the patch.

MG. let us know if the re-download worked. I guess that is what I will have to do also, but I'll wait for your result.

Cheers,
Fred
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, The download is in

Hi Fred,

The download is in. I'm waiting to see if I ought to uninstall before using the installation file. Will let you know.

all best,
mgj
Old 06-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G. and Fred, If yo

Hello M.G. and Fred,

If you redownload the entire Composer 2.1.2, then it shouldn't matter whether you install it "on top" of 2.1 or whether you first uninstall Composer 2.1 before you install 2.1.2. Try installing "on top", and if that doesn't work, then uninstall 2.1 and then install 2.1.2.

Sorry for this trouble. I suspect the problem is that I had accidentally or carelessly released more than one version of 2.1. I'll be more careful in the future to use the a 4th version digit, such as 2.1.0.1 if I need to do that sort of thing.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark and Fred, Installat

Hi Mark and Fred,

Installation was without incident.

best,
mgj
Old 06-05-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Hi Mark and MG, Everything

Hi Mark and MG,

Everything AOK here, too!

Cheers,
Fred
Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default However, Mark, I think that th

However, Mark, I think that the date problem is going to be endemic with this release.

My modification date is 4/24/2007 and I can't d/l or install the new update either.

Nor can I reasonably re-download as I am currently connected at 12.2 kBaud. And not likely to stay on much longer.

Nope, it just kicked me off. Back again.

Can the update be modified to allow us to get it?

David
Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello David, Fred, and MG,

Hello David, Fred, and MG,

David, what is the exact file size in Kb for the 4/24/2007 file you have? The 4/23/2007 file here is 9456Kb.

Fred and MG, do you happen to still have the 4/24/2007 version of composer.exe on your system? If so, please let me know its file size. And also, I'd really appreciate this: please send me that composer.exe file. That way, I can create the missing web update patch. Please send the file to my personal email address which is might first name, plus the first two letters of my last name, all together in lower case, @notation.com. Thanks!

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I made a backup of

Hi Mark,

I made a backup of the one whose properties information is reproduced above, before installing 2.1.2. Its 4/25 date seems to rule it out for your purposes, but I'd be glad to send it if it would help. I suspect the date was due to the day I downloaded and installed it, rather than it being a different file. Let me know, and I'll send it ASAP.

all best,
mgj
Old 06-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Hi Mark, I already installe

Hi Mark,

I already installed v2.1.2 over 2.1. However, I still have the set-up files for v2.0 ( issue date 12/25/06 )and all the patches in between (up to to v2.1), if they would help.
Cheers,
Fred
Old 06-05-2007, 04:11 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, Sorry, forgot this

Hi Mark,

Sorry, forgot this. The file size of composer.exe as shown in Explorer is 9,452 KB.

mgj
Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello M.G., David, and Fred,

Hello M.G., David, and Fred,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Sorry, forgot this. The file size of composer.exe as shown in Explorer is 9,452 KB. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Thanks, M.G., that's just the clue I needed! I do have a copy of a composer.exe file of exactly that size, which was built for a preliminary release of verion 2.1 on 4/15/07. It appears that I had sloppily released the 4/15/07 version 2.1 9452Kb to some folk, as well as a 4/23/07 version 2.1 9456Kb.

There is now a web update patch available for this other 4/15/07 9452Kb variant of Composer version 2.1.

David, please try again using the Help / Software Update command. I think there is a good chance that it will now work.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 AM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Mark: Just tried to upd

Hi, Mark:

Just tried to update again at 7:45 p.m. here (4:45 p.m. your time). I'm afraid no joy followed.

The properties box for my Composer reports 9.23 MB(9,682,944 bytes on disk)as the file size for Version 2.1.0.0, updated April 24, 2007.

Am I a patch behind? V2.1.1.0?

David
Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Bob

Default Hi Mark, I have the same up

Hi Mark,

I have the same update problem. The About command reports that I have version 2.1. The file size of Composeer 2.1 as listed in Explorer is 9,452 KB. Date Modified is 4/28/2007 12:18 AM.

It is 6/5/2007 11:43 PM EST. I went to the website but did not see the patch you refered to in the 12:52 posting above. I retried the software update command resulting in the same error message.

Do I need to run a patch (if so where do I find it)or redownload the entire program (if so do I do this from the yellow box titled: If you are currently using MidiNotate Composer 1.0 or 1.1...).

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello David, I'm not su

Hello David,

I'm not sure what the problem is. There seems to be some variant of version 2.1.0.0 that I released but didn't properly save.

There's not such a thing as "being a patch behind". Either 2.1.0.0 or 2.1.1.0 should automatically update to version 2.1.2.0 via the Help / Software Update command. And in the future, any version between 2.1 and 2.1.N should be able to update to 2.1.N+1 in just one step, not a series of steps.

But I messed up somewhere keeping track of the "reference" version of 2.1.0.0, that is used to calculate the patch (bit differences) between 2.1.0.0 and 2.1.2.

In the future, I'll try to do a better job keeping track of these all versions.

For this time, the only way you'll be able to update to version 2.1.2 is to follow the instructions at www.notation.com/Redownload.htm, for redownloading an entire new copy of your owned Notation Composer.

Sorry for the trouble. I understand that it is a pain to have a slow Internet connection.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Bob, From the above d

Howdy Bob,

From the above discussion, it sounds like you may need to install the full version. You can download it by visiting www.notation.com/Redownload.htm and following the instructions there.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Mark: Managed to stay o

Hi, Mark:

Managed to stay on line long enough to redownload Composer and all works well.

Most happy to report that Composer's Help works once again. Very happy to see that.

David
Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello All, With the help of

Hello All,

With the help of a customer (Tony), I've finally learned why some users cannot use the Help / Software Updates command to automatically update from 2.1 to 2.1.2.

Here's the situation: If you have fully installed version 2.1 or 2.1.1, then you will be able to update to 2.1.2. (Also, if you had fully installed 2.1 and updated to 2.1.1, then you will be able to update from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2.)

In the other case, if you had updated to version 2.1 using a patch from 2.0, 2.0.1 ... or 2.0.4, then the Help / Software Update command won't work. You'll get the error message: "Could not start the automatic update (2)." In that case, it will be necessary for you to redownload and fully installed a complete new copy of your purchased Notation Composer or Musician, following the instructions at www.notation.com/Redownload.htm.

Sorry for the inconvenience to those of you that got stuck in this patch/update mess that resulted from a transition I made from using InstallShield (which I disliked) to SetupBuilder (which I like) as the setup tool for Notaiton products.

Cheers
-- Mark
Old 06-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Djim Tio (djimtio)

Default Hi Mark Just to inform you th

Hi Mark
Just to inform you that I had no problems updating from Composer 2.1 to the latest version using the update in the Help menue.
Composer is doing great despite some rather inconvenient issues MG and I
reported before.I am sure that you will fix those problems too in due time.
Regards
Djim
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)

Default I'm behind the times, but

I'm behind the times, but at least I'm back on the board...Mark or SHerry, I have 2.1 which won't update either (this is 2.1.0.0 and 9.23MB) So I've gone to redownload.htm but all that greets me is the Trial versions, no button for purchasd versions. I'm in the middle of lots of things with no time left and would really hate to suddenly have the software revert to trial status...is it OK to download the Trial version and install? will it morph back into the paid-up version?

(For now I'll live with the bugs)

Tim Fatchen
www.myspace.com/timfatchen
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Tim, Mark switched th

Howdy Tim,

Mark switched the installation program that Notation products use, and the "auto update" doesn't work using the older version to update to the new one. I've emailed you privately with the link for downloading your registered version (no, installing the Trial version won't morph you to the new paid version).

The reason you were unable to download from our Redownload page was that you are registered using a different email addy. If you want to change your registered email addy, you can go to www.notation.com/ChangeEmail.php and change it to whatever you want.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Mark, I have not been ab

Hi Mark,

I have not been able to update from composer 2.1.

“Install Update” on Software updates does not work.

Clicking on www.notation.com/Redownload.htm, leads to the page “Notation Software Downloads. Clicking there on “Update” ends up with the page entitled: “Sorry, we can not find the page you want.”

What should I do?

Best wishes,

Herbert
Old 07-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Herbert, Please try u

Howdy Herbert,

Please try using http://www.notation.com/Redownload.php to redownload the full version.

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Sherry, Thank you for yo

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your help. It all works well now.

Best wishes,

Herbert