Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Active User

Default 'dirty' midi

I would very much like to use Notation Composer as my go-to software for actually playing midi files, as well as editing and preparing them.
Using Notation has the advantage that I can also have in the same file, visible but muted, either a piano score or at least score prompts which will show as a good-class visual display, and scroll with the backing.

I have a Ketron SD2 which I want to use as the sound source for my 'backings'.
I have all this physically set up, with a newly-bought second copy of Composer on a little notebook computer beside my piano keyboard. I also have the set-up in Notation, and the test scale playing on the Ketron. But when I play a file, there is sound, but not cleanly flowing, nor clean sounding - like a radio broadcast from an-imperfectly tuned station.

By way of comparison, I have the identical set-up in another software (which does not have a notation display), and that will play the identical file perfectly.

Can you give me any clue what the problem might be, and how I might solve it ? (I have been round the 'reconfigure' route several times, and that hasn't cleared the problem.)

Sincerely

Ian G.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Active User

Default Re: 'dirty' midi - further information

Two interesting additional facts !

1. I have found that Biab 2007, on the same notebook, and with the same set-up, has similar problems. With both NC and Biab 2007, the problems extend at times to actually locking the application.
BUT
2. I have down-loaded the free Notation Player, and that is perfectly happy with the set-up - configured itself and plays the file perfectly.
Does this give any clue as to why Composer is 'gibbing' ?

(Obviously I'm somewhat less content, in that Player doesn't have the flexibility of Composer in terms of eg part-display or indeed midi-editability. ie Player isn't really a viable 'solution' for me.)

Ian G
Old 12-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: 'dirty' midi

Hi Ian,

Does this happen for all .mid files, or just some? If it happens for only some, could you please send us a sample of one that does NOT work as well as one that DOES work to support@notation.com please?

Also, does the problem happen if you turn off all other programs and only use Composer or BIAB 2007? I'm just wondering if there may be a memory issue.

We may be asking further questions as well

Thanks!
Sherry
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Active User

Hallo, Sherry

I can't speak for 'all' midi files. I've used two that happened to be part of my current activity flow, and had rather different ensembles. But I would point out again that these same files play happily in other softwares. I can now add Midi-Illustrator to the list – like your Player, it picked up the midi set-up without any detailed configuring and plays the same files cleanly through the Ketron. So I really doubt it is a file-specific issue.

Also, although as I've explained, I've been switching between softwares, I always close one before opening another. And I have simply restarted the notebook from time to time.

I have also been into the registry and cleaned out 'midi-n' entries, back to just a single 'midi' entry.

Each time I 'do something', I tend to go first to 'the other' software to check that it is still working, and then close it and try NC again.
It has got so even the ' test' scale is (a) not piano and (b) not really a scale.

I'm not really pointing the finger at Composer, well, not totally. (NC is far the best software I know for what I want to do, and it is intended to do what I want to do ! And I've just bought a second copy !)

The Ketron itself can be a peculiar beast.

But the way 3 applications play this set-up like a dream, and two others clearly 'don't like it', puzzles me considerably.

Might it be worth uninstalling NC entirely and re-installing ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 12-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Hi, Ian, Sherry:

As I understand it, the Ketron doesn't have a USB Midi connection. So, the question arises: what midi interface are you using?

The fact that the problem doesn't arise with some other software doesn't necessarily preclude the interface being the bottleneck.

$0.02

David
Old 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Active User

Hallo, David

The Ketron has trad 5 pin midi sockets, and I'm using a USB-midi cable which I've used happily for a number of years.
If I understand what you're saying, the USB-midi cable could be the problem? I guess the only way to know would be to get another (good one) and try it.

But logically, I think there would still need to be some 'proximate' cause to account for the problem arising with some softwares (2, at the moment, of which the other is always a 'distinct beast' in terms of midi set-up) ) and not with others (3 that I've tried, one being also from the Notation stable) ?

I've held off further input today because I believe Sherry is a 'church person'. I will update more thoroughly some tim tomorrow.

Thanks for your 2p.

Ian G.