Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Senior User

Default Re: I think Notation Composer is underpriced undersold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Hi George,

Excellent suggestion! Might I poke you (or anyone else) for a thought on the following?

Background info: A user can have different staves muted for different parts, so what they hear can potentially vary depending on what Part they are viewing.

For example, if the user creates a Piano Reduction from an orchestral file (ie., lots o' instruments) using Part/Prepare Piano Reduction, then when they view that Part, all other instruments are muted except the piano. The other instruments are still present in the file, and can all be heard in the Conductor's Score Part.

Currently if you are viewing the Piano Reduction Part, then use File/Export MIDI to export a .mid file, all the staves in the file get exported - not just the Piano staves. This is true when viewing any Part. For example, if you have a big band file and are just viewing the bass Part (that would be me ), and use File/Export MIDI, all the instruments get exported.

This is where things can get a bit complicated, because different people use the software for different things

What does the user expect when they are viewing a Part, and then go to File/Export MIDI? I'm asking this as an honest "what do users do in real life?" question, because we want to make things as intuitive as possible. Here are some possible option scenarios that come to mind for the option.

New option(s) in the export dialog to
  • "Include all muted staves (exports all staves in this file)"

• "Include only staves in this Part"

• Select specific staves to include in the exported MIDI file (this would open a dialog with a list of all staves in the file).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks!
Sherry
The case you described is a classic usage.

But another common usage especially for practicing, which is what I suspect most users use Notation for is have having multiple versions of a Instrument.

So I might have a simple Piano Part or a More Complex one.

For a Melody I might have one with Drones and One without.

Or with Grace Notes or Without.

Often the Grace notes don't sound good on MIDI. So I'll clone the one with Grace notes, take the Grace Notes out. The go back and VIEW the version with Grace notes but I'll mute the one in view and unmute the one I cloned and removed grace notes.

I'll do similar things with drones or other complexities that I don't want to hear but I do want to see.

Most of the time the only thing I need to hear is a simple backing instrument (i.e. Chord progression) or a basic version of the Melody.

In fiddle you might apply a pattern, like a shuffle or you might accent the back beat.

So I'll have a Simple Melody version, one with a shuffle and another with the backbeat notes accented.

To make an accented version I raise the volume of the notes that fall on beats 2 and 4.

And in fiddle sometimes there is 3 versions of the Melody using the same chord progression.

I keep this all in one .NOT file.

This is super powerfull.

So however you decide to do it, keep this use case(s) in mind.

I think the simplest is "Export All Staffs" (which is what you do now) vs "Export what you would currently hear if played back within Notation under the current "Part"". Or more simply "Obey current Part rules".