Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Roland Juno Performance Patches

Just purchased a Roland Juno DS keyboard that I will be performing with using the Notation Composer Software. Several of the .NOT files that I have been using with an old Roland sound module are not working correctly on the DS. Instead of going to the General Midi sounds it brings up the Performance Patch 001 on the DS and I cannot find where I can edit this on the Composer Software. I can do a sound change command to fix the problem but I would like to do it correctly.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Roland Juno Performance Patches

Hi,

Not having a Juno DS, it's hard to say what the situation is, but Page 37 of the Juno DS88 Parameter Guide has a somewhat sketchy outline on using the keyboard with a DAW (While Composer is not, technically, a DAW, the idea is the same.)

If it didn't come with your keyboard, you can get the Parameter Guide here: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by...wners_manuals/

Hope that helps.

David
Old 01-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi guys,

In Composer, in Staff -> Setup you can set the

• Device
  • Bank
  • Channel
  • Instrument Patch
for each staff in the song.

wrighm14-juno_staff_setup.jpg

If you don't have a Device Description already imported (eg. Cakewalk INS file, or an MDD) you can still edit the banks and Instrument Patch names so it's easier in the future to pick out the right instruments for your songs.

You can see how to do this step-by-step in Help -> Users Guide, and use the Index to look up "device" and then select the sub-topic you want to learn about (eg. "bank").

ttfn,
Sherry
Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I downloaded the parameter guide and it gives me a lot more information but doesn't solve my problem. All my songs use the General Midi sound setup just to make things simple and I select the sounds as shown by Sherry. When I start the song it briefly loads the GM sounds then switches to the PRST or Performance 001 sound for all instruments except drums. Somewhere in the coding for the song is this command but I can't find it.

Max
Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Most of the songs I do use General Midi sounds to make things simple and I set them up as Sherry has shown. On the songs with the issue they start showing the GM Sound Patch then quickly change to the Roland's 001 performance patch for all the instruments except the drums. No sound change command shows up but it must be there somewhere in the midi file.

Max
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)

Hi Max,

You can see Sound Changes in Composer by
  1. Opening the song file
  2. Click on the Sound Changes tab
  3. Make sure the "Show instrument sound change symbols" is "On" (you can click it on if it's not - the button should be framed and lighter if it's "on")
You can then view the score and look for these sound changes - they will look like the speaker horn that is on the Sound Changes button. To remove them, just click on one and press the "Delete" key on your computer keyboard.

If you're having trouble seeing anything like that, please either post a copy of the song file here for us to take a look at, or send it to support@notation.com and we'll have a look at the file.

ttfn,
Sherry