Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Beta Testing Area > Beta 3.0.7 > Other

Other Report or discuss other non-specified issues with the 3.0.7 beta.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 PM

Default Loading of Sound Fonts

For a recorder duet I'm working on, I thought the sound I'm used to hearing was different with my recently installed 3.0.6-151. This morning, I thought to try it on current release 3.0.6 for comparison's sake, and received the attached error message. Needless to say, when I clicked on Play, no sound came out.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sound Font Failure.jpg (29.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Loading of Sound Fonts

Do I just need to copy FluidR3Mono_GM.sf3 to the directory Composer is searching, or is there more to it?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Hi Ralph,

Sorry for any inconvenience. We should have informed all beta testers about a potential conflict using soundfonts in the beta with 3.0.6-151 and higher compared to the full version 3.0.6.

Here is the general concept: Composer 3.0.7 includes a new feature "sf3 soundfont". Composer will come with the high quality .sf3 soundfont FluidR3Mono_GM.sf3 already included in the standard delivery. sf3 soundfont have a very high compression rate compared to sf2 soundfont. We have received the obligation to use these sf3 soundfonts. This gives us the opportunity to directly include high quality soundfont into the installation package.

The logic in the software is that when Composer 3.0.7 is installed, a former Composer 3.0.6 gets uninstalled. In case the soundfont setting was set to the standard soundfont TimGM6mb.sf2, this setting is replaced by the setting to the new soundfont FluidR3Mono_GM.sf3. In case somebody already loaded other sondfonts than the standard soundfont of 3.0.6 TimGM6mb.sf2, nothing is changed. With Composer 3.0.6-151 this switching of the soundfont setting is active.

The issue with the beta version 3.0.6-151 vs. 3.0.6 now is that during installation of 3.0.6-151 the new sf3 soundfont are switched active but these sf3 soundfont won't work on 3.0.6.

The workaround is to switch back the old soundfont TimGM6mb.sf2. This can be accomplished as described here.

The old soundfont TimGM6mb.sf2 will then be available for 3.0.6-151 as well. In a next beta update the settings will be again switched to the new ones.

As mentioned, this is only an issue with the beta vs. 3.0.6 because both versions share the same settings in the Registry.

Hope this help. If you may have a issue, please let us know.

Reinhold
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Reinhold,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, and the time and effort that you had to put in to do that - time that would probably have been better spent elsewhere. I shouldn't have bothered you with the question/problem, as I will probably not have a need to go back to 3.0.6.

Ralph Rayner
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Ralph,

No problem at all. I really should have informed you that the new soundfont became active with 3.0.6-151. Usually many people use their own favourite soundfont which will be better than the new standard FluidR3Mono_GM.sf3 soundfont. From this position the sf3 soundfont is not really something which is important for long term customers. But for us good sounding soundfonts are essential. The trial versions of Composer sound great right from the beginning especially when somebody starts with the trial version not knowing yet where to find and how to load other soundfonts. On the other side it is also essential that we keep the downloadable file small because the downloads (trial + full version) happen from all over the world. With the new sf3 soundfont format we have reached both.

Reinhold

Last edited by Reinhold H.; 01-05-2018 at 03:45 PM.