Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior User

Default I think Notation Composer is underpriced undersold

I've been using Notation Composer for almost 4 years now.

I still consider myself a Novice Musician.

But I'm not a novice when it comes to computers. I've been a developer since 1980 and started developing software on Windows since Windows 3.0. I know good software when I see it.

I have tried Sibelius and Finale a couple times thinking I'd get more for more money. But I just don't.

The Notation support is crazy good.
The documentation is so well done, and I know what it takes to write good documentation for software because I've done it. It's a huge task.

$57.00 you're nuts. Don't undersell your selves.

I'd pay what I would pay for Sibelius and Finale with out hesitation.

But I probably would not have when I started because I wouldn't know the trade offs to look for.

The only thing missing to me is more (and better) file format support so I could import from or export to Sibelius and Finale easily. I know there are some work arounds for that.

The next most important would probably be smooth scrolling, I know it's on your todo list. I go to great lengths to prune my tunes down so they fit on screen (with repeats and multiple endings) and I spend a fair amount of change on hardware to get what I want on the screen. Smooth scrolling would allow me to zoom in further so I can see it easier. The sudden jump to another page is not good, so I generally try to avoid it. I believe Sibelius and Finale do support smooth scrolling and good support for multiple file formats. P.S. Smooth scrooling should support smoothly looping the whole song too.

For example I'd love to run Notation on a Windows 8 tablet, but the screens are too small to fit the whole tune on a the screen at once with a zoom level I can see. If it smooth scrolled nicely that would solve that. I can't deal with it jumping.

One other annoyance is when I export to MIDI. I often have several versions of tune on one .NOT file. And I may have several flavors of backup instruments. Each Part "View" Mutes and Views what I want by customizing the Part and which staffs I want muted. This works awesome by the way I could not find a way to do anything close to this in other products.

But if I export to MID it does not obey mutes and it's one big mess. I have to delete all the staffs I don't want to export. This seems like an easy fix. Ignore the staff if it's muted. Perhaps there is a way because I never asked . If I recall correctly it does not obey repeats and alternate endings either. It just sends all the flat notes out ignoring the repeats and alternate endings (i.e. you'll get all endings back to back) from all staffs. It also ignores the "Edit Repeat instructions".

It needs to Export exactly how it would play within Notation.

Sibelius and Finale waste way to much screen realestate to make it look pretty. You can't click the mouse to have it jump to play back to where you clicked.