Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products Find out from others, or share your experience, about integrating Notation Software products with sound libraries, audio processing software, and other hardware and software products.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Composer 3 discrepancy with MuseScore 3 & Yamaha MOX

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sospiri View Post

Import the attached MIDI file into Yamaha MOX or MuseScore 3 and it comes up in the correct key of B Major. Import it into Composer 3 and it comes up in the Key of F# Major. Why?

Basically because with MIDI files there is no field for "key", so any program that imports it makes a "best guess" as to what the proper key should be. Composer - while not perfect - tries to give the most easily readable sheet music. With a song like this where there are a lot of accidentals throughout, my best guess (no pun intended) is that the beginning F# in the String Ensemble is what Composer used to decide that F# was the key rather than B (a beginning note is often a strong indicator of key, just not necessarily in this particular case).

You can easily change the key signature just by (1) double-clicking the key signature in any staff (make sure that Staff/Show all instruments in same concert key is "on") and (2) changing the key signature in the dialog and make sure that "Apply key signature to all staves" is selected.

Quote:
A friend of mind obtained the file from the internet and it appears to be a re-orchestration of the Sinatra/Billy May version of "Come Fly With Me" omitting the vocal and is not complete
It's a really nice performance file - someone did a great job with the pitch bends! I play bass in a big band, and we love this kind of stuff There are a lot of great big band arrangements out there in .mid form. I use them myself to help arrange for our band as well as to practice new or different songs just for fun.

Have fun!
Sherry